Welcome

Please feel free to read this blog and join in. I hope you will write something inspirational, inspiring, spiritual, controversial, amusing, engaging or just plain run of the mill. But please don't be brusque, churlish or licentious.

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Sitting to Meditate

When you sit to meditate you are settling into a quiet place and time to "observe."  From the outside meditation looks simple and easy.  "There she sits with her eyes closed, not moving, and hardly breathing.  How hard can that be?"  But from the inside the mind is thinking all kinds of things, the body is trying to get comfortable, and the breath is trying to smooth out. "I don't know how long I can sit here.  My mind is too agitated and my knees hurt."

Meditation is very personal and there is no one particular way to do it. Meditation evolves with the person and the person evolves with the meditation. When I first started meditating the most I could do was 10 or 15 minutes.  That was about fifteen years ago. Today I sat for 2 hours with no problem.  I look forward  every day to sitting and meditating. It is the pause that refreshes.  It gives me new life and it restores my ability to stay in the moment during the day.  It calms my mind and I sleep better at night.

No comments: